St Vasilios Greek Orthodox Church, Brunswick was established in 1962. Our Parish Priests are Fr Athanasios Triantafillou, who has been parish priest since 1983, and priest monk (hieromonk) Fr Ephraim Kourtoglou, who has recently joined our parish. Both Fr Athanasios and Fr Ephraim are available at the Church every Monday to Friday between 4.00pm and 6.00pm for Holy Confession and spiritual need.
The Church’s Feast Days are:
- 1st January for the Feast Day of St Vasilios the Great (St Basil)
- 23rd August for the Feast Day of Panagia Tou Harou
- 22nd November for the Feast Day of Iakovos (Tsalikis) of Evia
Construction of the Church building began in late 1959; the service to mark the foundation of the Church took place at 5pm, Sunday 11 October 1959 presided by Archbishop Ezekiel (Tsoukalas) of Nazianzos. The first service inside the completed Church took place on 28 October 1962 officiated by Bishop Myron Chrysostomos. St Vasilios Church was consecrated on Sunday 27 August 2006 by His Eminence Archbishop Stylianos.
SERVICES AND SACRAMENTS
Information and FAQs about the following services and sacraments can be found here
- Baptisms & Chrismation
- Mothers & Newborns
- Holy Confession
- Holy Communion
- Holy Unction
- Memorial Services
- Holy Water & Other Blessings
- Blessing of an Adoption
- Hospital & Home Visits
- Greek Language School
- Sunday School
- Philoptohos (Ladies’ Auxiliary)
- Senior Citizens Group
- Orthodox Youth of Brunswick and Coburg
- Teenage Youth Group
- Young Adults & Married Couples Bible Study Group
- Bible Study in Greek
Every Sunday immediately following the Service, a volunteer is on hand in the Church office (to your left as you enter the Church) for the purchase of Church Service books & spiritual books (in both Greek & English), icons and other religious items. There are spiritual books in English on a wide range of topics that address the concerns of youth today, and they make wonderful & blessed gifts. For more information or guidance as to an appropriate spiritual book for a young person, please see Presbytera Connie Triantafillou.
• Balcony seating area: The Church has an upper seating area, accessible by stairs to the left as you enter the Church proper. On one side of the balcony seating area there is a small playroom for young children, and on the other side, there is a room for nursing mothers and babies.
• Coffee Room: Following the Service every Sunday, join us for tea & coffee and a chat in the Church Coffee Room which is located at the side of the Church.
Parish Priests: Fr Athanasios Triantafillou & Fr Ephraim Kourtoglou
Hours: 4-6pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 15 Staley St, Brunswick, VIC 3056
Telephone: (03) 9387 7693
Facsimile: (03) 9380 5767
Feast Day: 1st January